Monday, October 3, 2011

Really in the Philippines)

(Really in the Philippines)

Pamilya at mga kaibigan,

So I'm finally here. It's so hard, but I'm so happy and blessed to be here. I love the people already. My Tagalog is terrible, but their patient and understanding, and my companion translates for me. I've taught a little bit, and I understand a couple words here and there. Some people we've visited say I'll be fluent in a month. Maybe if I pray and work really hard.

My last days in the MTC were bitter sweet. My teachers shared their stories and we took lots of pictures together. Actually my trainer (what they call your first companion in the field) was trained by my teacher Sister Ball! I've been really enthusiastic about the work and working all the time so Sister Siufanua considers me a mini Sister Ball. S. Siu is from Utah, but she's half Samoan. She is very sweet and we get along great. I love her already.

So back to the MTC... for our last meal in the cafeteria one of the Elders snuck in some Martinelli's sparkling cider and we did a lot of cheers. It was happy. Our last Sunday we sang "Army of Helaman in English and Tagalog, and it was pretty awesome. I'm going to miss my district a lot, but thankfully we all flew together.

The long flights weren't too bad until we were landing in Hong Kong. There was a typhoon passing through and the landing was rough. The pilot had to try twice. And the food was really greasy and kind of gross on the plane and five of the twelve I was traveling with threw up. It smelled horrible and I thought I was going to throw up. I was by the window and Elder Herr, who was one of the five, was on my other side. It was funny because I freaked out more than he did and the guy next to him said to calm down and someone else thought it was me who had thrown up. Haha... From Hong Kong to Manila was just fine, though, so happy day.

So the Philippines... is really rainy. Haha. It's not actually too hot, though. Apparently I started off in a cooler area. It's called Antipolo, and I'm in the San Isadora Branch. They are lovely. There are so many members willing to come with us and help us teach lessons. There is so much poverty everywhere, but the people are humble and happy. There is so much loud music all the time everywhere. I've taken a ride on a jeepney and several on tricycles. I feel pretty legit. Ha. I take cold showers everyday and I've done the hose thing (instead of toilet paper) because I had no choice. My companion is going to make me eat balut before she goes home. (This is her last transfer, i.e. six weeks.) Apparently only then can I call myself a true Filippino.

There are stray (and pregnant) dogs everywhere. It's sad, but I've gotten used to is already. I've eaten chicken leeg (neck), and mostly everything is delicious. I ate halo-halo for the first time today. Sobrang masarap. They have fried chicken all the time and that's okay by me. Bananas are sweeter here and so much better. I don't like Plantains I've realized, but other than that I'm not too worried about food. I'm probably jinxing myself, though.

Anyway. Time is up. I miss you all, but I'm so happy to be here. I know this is the Lord's work. There are so many people here who need the gospel of Jesus Christ and I feel so blessed that I have the privilege of sharing it with them.

Mahal ko kayo from the bottom of my puso.
Sister Cope

P.S. Mail is really slow. I'll only get it every two weeks and that is if it has arrived here. But please write anyway. I need your love and support :)

Pictures: 1. My trainer, Sis. Siufanua and I. 2. My district right before catching our bus to the airport.

I'll figure out a way to put more up later, but the internet cafe is slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment