Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Families and Following the Spirit

This week has been great in spite of the roller coaster that is the mission. I continue to learn lots from Sister Polinar, and I'm trying to soak it in so it can be a part of me, too, and I can apply it even when we're not companions anymore. It's amazing to see the things that happen as we both give our whole selves to the work. We both learned a little better about following promptings this past week.

We left one appointment and were punted from another, and we had a little over an hour left before curfew. I said, "Let's go to the Francisco's!" who live in a completely different area. They hadn't been home earlier that day, and they are one of our focus families. Sister Polinar said, "What about the Pastors?" And foolishly I replied, "Hindi mahalaga." Of course they're important, but I figured to prioritize the focus family. As we were riding our tricyle out of the area I was thinking maybe we should turn back. We both considered it, but decided to go ahead. What my companion had said was ringing in my mind still and I said, "We'll go back if the Francisco family isn't home, even if it's expensive." When we reached the Francisco's, only the kids were home. So we trekked back up to the main road and paid for another tricycle ride, back to the area we had been in. Brother Pastor asked why we hadn't come earlier because he was really tired from work, but he still welcomed us in and allowed us to teach him and his wife, who is not a member and was previously not progressing. We watched the Restoration video and Sister Pastor said she related to it so well. She too has been searching out the truth. She is studying in the born again religion, and FINALLY reading the Book of Mormon (thanks to the efforts of a previous companion, Sister Siu :) . We invited her to pray about Joseph Smith and she took everything more seriously than she had before in our other lessons. After we left, Sister Polinar said, "I learned three things tonight: First, follow the promptings we receive; second, confirm plans with your companion; and I forgot the third." It was amazing, though. We really were meant to get to that lesson. We cannot rely on our own reasoning. We must rely on God.

I also got this awesome idea from Sister Polinar in studying the scriptures (that I might've mentioned last week). But after opening personal study with a prayer I write a question that I have for that day on something I'm struggling with or in the area. And I read to have that question answered. Mostly I just read straight through from where I've been and it's amazing how God answers my prayers. Like today and Alma 38. And another day I felt distinctly prompted to read in Moroni 7, and it's just amazing. God is so aware of us. I will testify of that again and again. He loves us more than we can comprehend. And that's why we have the gospel of Jesus Christ in its fullness on the earth again. Ah. It's such a blessing.

Mahal ko kayo,
Sister Cope

Pictures of the week:
1. Family Home Evening with the DeJesus Family. Every game in the Philippines has punishments for losing. In this game, the people with the most powder on their face at the end had to share a talent. We had dancing, singing, and guitar playing. I said my talent was eating and so then we had dinner :)
2. Powder on my face with my bagong kasama. Sobrang masipag si Sister Polinar. I love it.
3. DeJesus! (minus Rosalie, who is the culprit in the first picture spreading the powder)
4. Sitio Kay Naog. One of the two most beautiful places in my area. We get to hike to appointments... literally. Sobrang pauwis kami.
5. Orowa Family Home Evening. Samantha (little does she know we have the same name...) just graduated from kinder and there was a celebration complete with spaghetti pancit. Siempre!

***new address***
Sister Samantha Cope
C/O Philippines Quezon City Mission
Aurora Blvd. Corner JP Rizal Street
Project 4, Cubao, Quezon City

Metro Manila, Philippines
(mas effective daw, pero my old address should still work so if you sent anything to that recently, don't worry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment