Monday, January 9, 2012

Hahayo ako at gagawin ko

"I will go and do" the things the Lord hath commandeth for I know He giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth. - 1st Nephi 3:7 (or close to it... i'm working on memorizing scriptures this week)


So ups and downs as usual in the life of a missionary. I've found so much strength in the scriptures at this time. Opening my study with a prayer really readies me to receive personal revelation and revelation for my investigators and less actives. I just love the stories of Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah and the other missionaries in the Book of Mormon. I have learned a lot from their examples. Most recently Alma 14 and working together to teach and supporting the words of your companion.


Wednesday the traveling sisters came to our area to do exchanges with us, and as always they are a welcomed blessing. Sometimes the work is overwhelming, and so we were able to cover two areas. I had the opportunity of visiting some non-progressing investigators that have been neglected with this new focus on less actives. I worked with Sister Rebelde, and I just felt so unified during the lessons even though we were only companions for a day. This one lesson we hadn't discussed what we were going over, but she started with this amazing object lesson on the Atonement, and then I discussed the sacrament--and that investigator ended up coming to Church. We need to be quiet enough to pay attention to the Spirit because it will testify of the truth and bring about righteous changes into our lives.


The Relief Society members have been helping us a lot, too. They've provided for quality fellowshipping members present. Three sisters in particular get so excited about coming with us and end up sharing a lot during the lessons because of their love of the gospel. It's a wonderful thing to witness.Sister Glaffy the Relief Society president had the perfect experiences to share with one of our less active mothers. She told of this touching experience of holding on to the scriptures and finding comfort in them.


We also were referred to a "golden" investigator in one of our areas who has so many questions and is really excited to find out more about the Church. When we told him that we start every lesson with a song, he said something about how he doesn't know it now, but as he starts learning and coming to church he'll be able to sing them, too. Tama yan.


Tapos... We've been searching for less actives in our area and are finding many who don't remember why they were baptized. It's a big deal. The covenants we make at baptism are promises to God. It's not basta-basta (just because). I'm so blessed to have been nourished by my family, friends, and ward leaders growing up. I know why I'm a part of this Church and what it means to be a member.


There were some other stories I wanted to tell, but my mind is all over the place so I'll just close with my testimony. I know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God's church on the earth restored with every piece of the truth that will help us get back home with our Heavenly Father. I know sometimes we get tired of hearing about prayer, scripture reading, church attendance, service, and home & visiting teaching, but it's God's way. He's organized His Church perfectly, we just need to be better about following his blueprint.


And the best news of the week is that 5 less actives that we've been teaching came to church this past week. These are really big steps for them, and it makes my Sundays to see them there.


I love you all. Thank you for your influence in my life.


Love,
Sister Cope


Pictures of the week:
1. My new companion, Sister Matuauto and I, and Sister Daclan and Sister Iosefa (my kabahay). I love them lots :)
2. A general idea of my New Year's celebration. Fireworks dotted the horizon of our window view. Sobrang awesome.
3. There were some really close and really far. Seriously, everyone does fireworks here... everywhere.
4. The Antipolo Cathedral. The dome glows on holidays :)

No comments:

Post a Comment