Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Boys wear headbands in the Philippines.

Just a nice cultural fact. Haha...


This is my last full day with my trainer or "nanay" as we say in the Philippines. She is returning home to Utah on Wednesday, but will be going to the mission home tomorrow. I'm going to miss her a lot. She has the biggest heart and is a great example to me.

We've seen a lot of miracles together, especially this week. Nine of our investigators came to church this week. That's a big deal here. They're really showing their faith and coming closer to Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ.


Currently, I am doing a language fast. I haven't used much English for about two days now. I'm planning on going for a week where I "magtagalog lang." It's hard, but I was inspired after a visit with one of the less actives in our area. She learned Japanese in a week! And enough Arabic to keep her job in a week. I came to a realization that if I show my faith, God can bless me with the same thing. Even if I'm not fluent by the end of the week, I know that it'll be easier in the future after this week. The gift of tongues is real. I've seen and heard about it in relation to other missionaries.


I also know that the power of the Holy Ghost is real. Your heart has to be soft enough and your mind open to feel it. I've witnessed that this week with a stark contrast between lessons that we were both (the investigators and Sister Siufanua and I) uplifted and felt edified, and lessons that I felt practically sick during because of hard-heartedness. If we're humble, if we love God, and if we do all we can to invite the Spirit into our lives, it will happen.


I know that Heavenly Father puts people in our path and in our lives for a reason. Consider that as you interact with those around you. They need you and you need them. There is a big emphasis in our mission right now to help less actives. I've seen how important the support of others is in staying true to the gospel of Jesus Christ and in survival. I read some beautiful stories in the February 2011 Liahona (http://lds.org/liahona/2011/02?lang=eng). Keep a loving eye on those around you. Part of being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (and just being a good human being) is service.


Mahal ko kayo. Namimiss ko kayo.


With love,
Sister Cope


Pictures of the Week:
So for Thanksgiving... because I think it was last week... We enjoyed pancit, mango juice, and fudgee bars because our dinner appointment was cancelled.
And we made thankful turkey hands :)

No comments:

Post a Comment