Monday, December 12, 2011

Mahirap pero masaya.

Hard but happy. Those are the perfect words to describe the mission right now.


There's a quote from Jeffrey R. Holland in "Preach My Gospel" about how you'll be devastated when investigators don't keep commitments. Devastation doesn't quite cover it. It really is heartbreaking when you want to see people's lives improve and to see them act on their faith, but they don't. No one, I don't think, can ever prepare you for how hard a mission actually is.


BUT Heavenly Father is still aware of me!!! I see it with the people he blesses me to work with and those that I have the privilege of meeting. Like the other day this one member I had never worked with before volunteered to be my companion for the day. I felt so grateful because not only did she speak English well and was able to translate when I needed it, she also brought a wonderful Spirit to the lessons. On that same day we found this one less active member in the depths of Sampaga (one of my areas). He was baptized as a child and doesn't remember anything. Since then he's been baptized a born again, but he admitted that he's still confused and said we're welcome to come back. It was amazing--his receptiveness and sincerity. He has committed to pray to know if Joseph Smith is a true prophet. I know he will get his answer because I've seen it happen time and time again.


And we received new numbers from our mission president for our standards of excellence. For those who aren't familiar with mission terms these are goals for lessons and baptisms to help us focus and work hard. Our numbers have changed drastically. Our focus in the mission has completely shifted. It was 18 lessons to investigators with a member present and 10 Less Active visits. It is now 12 member present lessons and 15 less active visits. 2012 is the year to establish the Church in the Philippines. About 8 out of 10 baptized members go less active. It's not typical missionary work, but it's a special request from our area presidency. When this was announced I realized that that's what I have been called to do. To find the lost sheep and bring them back. I feel very strongly about this new focus. I know it is of great importance in order to build up the Church in the future and it is of great importance to Heavenly Father. He loves each of us so very much and He wants us to love and watch out for each other. I know this is a sacred responsibility and part of the baptismal covenants I have made.


As for my one baptism so far... He is still active! And he received the priesthood last week and blessed the sacrament this week. It is very special to witness him progress in the gospel.


4 of 5 members of a family I've been teaching are scheduled for a baptism on Christmas Eve. I'm very excited for them. I'll keep you updated on how it goes :)


That's all for now. I love what I'm doing. I feel like it's a taste of real joy/the love of God like the angel describes the fruit of the tree of life in 1 Nephi 11. Bringing people real happiness brings me real happiness as well. I know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true and that we have a living prophet and modern revelation. Because God loves us just as much as He loves His children from Old testament time.. and all His children throughout all time. As great as His love is for all of us, it is also very individual. He knows us, and Christ knows us. We can rely on them for comfort, guidance, peace, love and all good things. They will bless us with our righteous desires as we strive to follow them.


Mahal ko kayo,
Sister Cope
Pictures of the week:

1. My investigators that went on our recent temple tour. It was raining, but it was still maganda. L-R: Diana Jane (she is about ready to be baptized, but there's a new rule in our mission that they need a responsible adult getting baptized with them or an active family member. it's a great new rule because it will help them stay active. her parents are preparing so as soon as they're ready, they'll be baptized together.), Ericka (Diana's sister who used to listen to the missionaries and her heart is beginning to accept us again. slowly but surely.), Mary Ann with baby Joanna (she has a testimony and is working on acting on it), Mark with baby Marky and Ailyn (she's been taught everything and we're catching him up. i've seen him change so much in the short time i've known him. it's a miracle.)


2. My district with the APs. Small, but amazing.


3. An awesome cloud at sunset; I think this was taken in my area of Antipolo Hills.

4. My housemates and companions right before Sister Siufanua was taken to the mission home for her flight the next morning. Sister Daclan and Sister Litz are the Sisters I have become a "tripanionship" with. It's a balancing act with two areas, but the members have been really supportive. I'll have a new companion on December 21st. Sister Daclan, too, because Sister Litz will be finishing her mission this transfer. S. Daclan and I are hoping to both stay in our areas. Other than that we'll be spending Christmas with companions we've known for only four days pala.

No comments:

Post a Comment