Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Baptism and a Funeral

On the same night last week, actually. The baptism was a child of record in the ward, but we went to support the building up of Zion, of course. Then we packed into a jeepney from the church to a cemetary. As we were listening to the speakers at the funeral I had some revelation for some of my less actives. They don't go to church because they literally can't afford to make it there. But I know that if they show God their faith and their willingness to sacrifice, God will show them miracles. (Ether 12:6)  They just need to know it's worth it. At the funeral there was a lot of talking about the Plan of Salvation, and I realized it's all about perspective. One of those poorer less actives said "Huwag na lang" to the temple because it's too hard. I know Satan is trying to keep them from getting there to be sealed as an eternal family. But I remembered at the funeral an object lesson of sorts that one of my Sunday School teachers (Brother LeMaster, I think) used to tell us. Picture a rope that doesn't end; it just keeps going. It passes through our classroom, in one door and out the window, and it raps around the world a couple times, visits Paris, the Philippines, Hollywood, and then it goes past Jupiter and Saturn, and even Pluto and beyond! The portion in the room is our earth life. The infinity on either side is our pre-mortal existence and our eternal life afterward. Is it not worth it to do our best in this little bit of time we have to live in the presence of our Heavenly Father and with our families forever? This time is hard. But God didn't say it was going to be easy. It's our testing ground. Are we worthy to dwell with him? No. Not yet. But through experience, we are refined. And through the power of the Atonement, we are sanctified.

And it's short. Sinabi ng Diyos sa 3 Nephi 2:7&10, "For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee. For the Mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee."

I know that promise of peace is real. I felt a portion of it as I attended a temple session this morning. So kaya natin yan! (We can do it!) Haha... But seriously. And it's sulit (worth it). And I know that the Plan of Happiness is only possible because of our loving elder brother Jesus Christ, and His willingness to submit Himself to the will of Heavenly Father.

Mahal ko kayo,
Sister Cope
Pictures of the Week (Courtesy of S. Sarmiento's camera)
1. Sister Sarmiento and I at the temple this morning :)
2. Trying to lick my elbow during a game at the Bolo Family's Home Evening... Ha.





No comments:

Post a Comment