Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dearest Friends and Family,

The weeks are going by so fast. I've had a lot of great experiences and some hardships, too. I've been having a lot of good personal study that seems really directed by the Holy Ghost. Like last Saturday I was reading some scripture about the doctrine of Christ, and I was lead to learning about gifts of the Spirit in this talk by Dallin H. Oaks, and I learned more about charity, which I've really been working on. Because I love people, but I don't think I love them enough. But I realized that our purpose here really is to help others. I wish I could remember the scripture reference, but it was powerful. And then yesterday my companion suggested I read Alma 36 and then I was lead to thinking about hope and I read this beautiful talk on hope being the anchor of our souls by James E. Faust. I continued to study hope today for personal study in Preach My Gospel and the scriptures and there are so many amazing verses. Read Ether 12. I'm really trying to strengthen my trust in God to fulfill his promises and to have a sure hope in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and His resurrection. I know that God will bless me after a trial of my faith. I was also able to learn stuff from the war chapters at the end of Alma, which I always struggle with. The love that Helaman has for the stripling warriors is amazing and so powerful.

The other sisters that are in our zone leave for the Philippines next Tuesday. Sister Biggs and I will be the only girls unless more female companionships come in next Wednesday. It's kind of crazy. But the elders are great and I'm learning lots from them and from Sister Biggs. And from other sisters I talk to in the dormitory. They are all truly children of our Heavenly Father. Now if only I could go now to teach the others in the Philippines. I'm so excited, but I know that there is still lots I need to improve on before I am ready. I know God is with me, though, and I know he is helping me. Everything here is inspired. I know that. Our companionships, our districts, our leaders, our teachers, our curriculum. Sobrang magandang (very good)!

We had our first experience in the TRC (Teaching Resource Center) where people who speak your mission language come in to be taught. They used to work by role playing, but now they are themselves and we address real needs according to the Spirit. It's amazing. I love the changes they are making and I think they really will help us be better missionaries. It's so much about relying on the Holy Ghost and about the people. Sister Biggs and I had a wonderful experience with the TRC. At one point I was lead by the Spirit exactly as to what scripture I should read. I was looking for something else, but it was 1st John 4: 7-10 (?) that I found, and it worked. God sent His Son because He loves us. I know that. It's a love we cannot comprehend, but that is very real and overwhelming. I am praying to feel that love so that I am better able to teach.

Today I am leaving the campus for a couple hours to go to the dentist. It's going to be weird to go into the real world. Haha...

MAHAL KITA!

Love,
Samantha

P.S. Please write to me if you have the time. My MTC Mailbox is #224 and my expected departure date is 0927. Use DearElder.com. It's so easy and free :) And it will bring me kaligayahan (happiness)!


No comments:

Post a Comment